I would like, in these blogs, to investigate the principles of ecological engineering and what they can mean for the future of engineering or to me, as an engineering student. The principles I will be using as a base for these investigations are as below, found in an article by Bergen et al, Design Principles for Ecological Engineering. It is a great read and I have found these principles as an excellent guide to interpreting the value of engineering projects.
- Design consistent with ecological principles
- Design for site specific context
- Maintain the independence of functional requirements
- Design for efficiency in energy and information
- Acknowledge the values and purposes that motivate design
The first point is the importance to take advantage of, mimic and include natural systems into our engineering design. To read more about these principles read here.